Curtiss P-40M Warhawk
The Curtiss P-40 Warhawk was a single-engine, single-seat, all-metal fighter, and ground-attack aircraft that first flew in 1938. The P-40 design was a modification of the previous Curtiss P-36 Hawk which reduced development time and enabled a rapid entry into production and operational service. The Warhawk was used by most Allied powers during World War II and remained in frontline service until the end of the war. It was the third most-produced American fighter of World War II, after the P-51 and P-47; by November 1944, when production of the P-40 ceased, 13,738 had been built, all at Curtiss-Wright Corporation‘s main production facilities at Buffalo, New York.
About Our Curtiss P-40M:
The American Airpower Museum Curtiss P-40M Warhawk, known at the museum as the “Jacky C” was manufactured at the Curtiss Buffalo, NY plant in 1943. Delivered that same year to the Royal Canadian Air Force Western Air Command as Serial Number AK845. AK845 served in defense of Canada’s west coast, eventually being utilized as a training aircraft for operational training unit No.5. It would eventually be sold as surplus in 1946.
It was registered in the US Registry as N1232N and brought to the west coast where it was flown by the Weather Modification Company from the late 1950’s until 1961. It would eventually find its way to the famed Harrah’s Automobile & Aircraft Collection. It would be acquired in 1982 by Warbird and Reno Air Race pilot and restorer Bill Destafani who would restore it to flying condition in 1983. It would join the Lonestar Flight Museum Collection from 1991-1997 until acquired by our museum’s founder in 1997. It would be one of the first aircraft loaned to our museum’s collection in 2000 and has been on display and a regular performer at Air Shows on the east coast for over 20 years.
Photo Courtesy of Mike Killian and ©American Airpower Museum. Download or re-publishing requires the permission of the American Airpower Museum.